Generators, tools and tables for Planes and Realms Beyond. First version!
Updated Aug 2023: generators added
Disclaimer. I'm an affiliate for DM's Guild and DriveThru RPG and I also create a lot of products with random tables on DM's Guild..
In most fantasy settings there are worlds and realms beyond that of mortals. It may be where the gods live, the dead go and monsters of nightmares arrive from.
Demonic creatures locked in the Abyss, a realm of dreaming, an Underworld like Hades where the dead reside. The Elemental Planes of D&D, the Realms of Chaos from Warhammer and the Astral Sea of Spelljammer are all more examples.
For PDFs try the Random Table Titles for Planar and Otherworldy Fantasy.
You pass forward through the untried portal hidden high atop a mountain among a layer of clouds. You're immediately met by a vigorous world. Light as a feather you gently float above the surface, hanging gently in the thick smog that fills the air. A new world has literally opened up to you, vast expanses of new life ready to be explored. You can't wait.
A spectacular world welcomes you and you can't wait to explore it all. This world is an easy undertaking, but at the very least you should be able to survive for a week...
From Realm Descriptions at Fantasy Name Generators.
Portals are a mainstay of travel between realms, and there is a generator for Portals at Chaotic Shiny.
While donjon has a Worlds and Planes Generator including items such as "Resu: An abyssal plane of jagged peaks, poisoned lakes, and rusting battlefields. The plane is primarily populated by demons and trolls."
- Castle Oldskull - 333 Realms of Entropy from Kent David Kelly is filled with tables for creating realms by a dominant terrain, with some examples of these planes.
- For other planes the Plane Maker from Ennead Games makes total sense. Filled with tables about the plane, what inhabiteds it and how to get there. Depending on your planar adventures, Deities and Pantheons may also be of interest.
- For things on other planes, using the Weird Shit Generator (Fantasy) from Never Engine probably works. PWYW.
- Out there, there will be demons somewhere, so Piecewise Games has the Demon Generator with 32 pages of tables covering Fire, Filth, Pristine, Curse, Storm, Deep, Grave and Azoic elements.
- Often things are weird beyond the mortal realm, so 100 Strange Magical Items for all fantasy RPGs from Grinning Skull Studios can help capture this.
- Spectre Press has a supplement with tables for small planes of existence in RPGPundit Presents #97: Pocket Planes. And a similar title is #95: Alternate Material Planes
Seven Ancestral Depths of Balance. Far Depths. Seventh Titanic
From Outer Plane generator at Seventh Sanctum.
For weird magical effects there is also the Magic Phenomena at 7th Sanctum.
Magic symbols feature in supernatural and planar travel, so there is a Sigil Generator from watabou, who also has a basic Rune Generator. And ciacodavi has a Magic Circle generator with arcane patterns. Lastly the Sigil Engine will create a sigil depending on what you enter.
This meadow-dwelling fairy is male with dark brown eyes, a fair complexion, and wavy light brown hair in a mid-length braid. He is short and is fairly muscular. He wears a kilt, no shirt, and a pair of shoes. He also wears a flower brooch and a flower hat. He is fond of sweets and is not very friendly.
from the Fairy Generator at springhole.net.
Places of dreams and fey of various types, often featuring various enchanted landscapes such as verdent woods and stormy peaks.
I've yet to find any generators or tools for planar maps but I'll keep looking!
Planes Tool Recommendations
I'll come back and update the Guide so send me any recommendations for tools, tables and pdfs.