Here we are looking at pdf and book titles for Horror on Drive Thru RPG.
Oct 2023: Added Solo and Dark Fantasy Sections, plus new titles
Disclaimer: Rand Roll is an affiliate for DriveThru RPG and DM's Guild.
Titles with random tables for all types of horror, modern to fantasy.
Horror adventures cover stories of urban fantasy with vampire, investigators of Call of Cthulu, adventurers caught in dark realms such as Ravenloft and classics such as full moons, the evil that comes at night and cheesy horror films.
There is also a Generators Guide for Horror.
Some PDFs are much larger and comprehensive.
- Grinning Skull has a Horror Mega-bundle with lots of d100 titles. It also has a smaller Strange and Weird Stuff Bundle with 8 d100 titles.
- The Dread Thingonomicon from Raging Swan Press is a collection of 400+ pages of fantasy dread-themed lists.
- The Book of Random Tables: Eldritch from dicegeeks has 24 d100 tables for Lovecraftian-themed games such as Call of Cthulu.
- From Chaos Factory Books there is the Dark Fantasy Everything Bundle, full of dark fantasy goodies.
- A bit different is Sidequest Decks: Lovecraftian/Paranormal from Inkwell Ideas, 55 cards with maps and adventure ideas.
- Ken Wickham has something different with Grammar Fuel: Horror Genre and Subgenres, giving 42 d100 lists of nouns, adjectives and adverbs for horror
Horror is easier to get the atmosphere right if you're playing alone.....
- For system-neutral solo goodness, Larcenous Designs has The GamesMaster's Apprentice: Horror Deck. A deck of 60 cards with prompts, dice rolls, npc traits, names and more for solo inspiration. There is also the GameMaster's Apprentice: Weird Horror.
- If you want to play a vampire, then journalling game Thousand Year Old Vampire from The Hutchingsonian Presents-PlaGMaDA is the game for you!
- The Wretched from Loot the Room is a different type of horror. Set in a spaceship where you are the last survivor. But a hostile lifeform is onboard with you. Others in the series include Go Alone and The Assassin.
- For something a little different, Escape from Pumpkin World the PocketMod RPG from Doppelganger Publishing
- For a free solo adventure using Call of Cthulu, Chaosium has Alone Against the Flames, set in the 1920s.
- English Eerie: Rural Horror Storytelling Game for One Player from Trollish Delver Games is a pay-what-you-want journalling game with five scenarios.
Free and Pay What You Want Options
If you like pdfs and random tables then there are some options. And where you find one you might find more...
- Dark Fantasy Places from Chaos Factory Books is a PWYW title has a collection of tables and short essays for dark villages, forests and other places.Pink Dice Bag Publishing gives us of 100 Dark and Spooky Names,
- Never Engine has 100 Spooky Yet Mundane Dungeon Encounters
- d100 Mundane Items (for Mörk Borg) from Petersender with 100 dark fantasy items. Plus lots of clues for other Mork Borg PWYW titles.
- For cthulu-related monsters try Lovecraftian Title Generator from Azukail Games, with 3 tables to combine
- 47 Villainous Cults, Orders and Guilds to Thwart Your Heroes from Blackstone Entertainment has organisations for your horror adventures.
To find more related titles by a particular publisher the "Customers Who Bought This Title also Purchased" bar at the bottom of product description is useful.
- For filling places with odd things, Skirmisher Publishing has 100 Oddities for a Creepy House and 100 Oddities for a Graveyard.
- 100 Cursed Places for all Horror RPGs from Grinning Skull Design Studios.
- Black Falcon Games has D-Percent - 100 Modern Zombies with graphic descriptions of the undead.
- 1d100 Plus Haunting Events from Lore Wise Games is a list of 100 unique ghost activity events for your spooky game.
- From Azukail Games is Tomes of Cthulu, with 20 different books detailing forbidden knowledge. There is a sequel, Tomes of Cthulu II. Plus 100 Creepy Things and Events to Encounter Outdoors.
- A staple of dark fantasy and horror is cults, so Terry Herc has d100 Cults with brief information for each.
Dark fantasy is a particular niche within horror, catering to grimdark, ravenloft, and other horrors.
- From Chaos Factory Books there is the Teratogenicon, a tome for generating dark fantasy monsters.
- 100 Superstitions for a Fantasy Setting and 100 Creepy Things and Events to Find in a Spooky House from Azukail Games.
- Chaos Factory Books has Dark Fantasy Characters and 100 Magic Weapons (Dark Fantasy) along with many other dark fantasy titles. Including 100 Dark Fantasy Backgrounds.
- For adventure ideas, Atelier Clandestin has 200 Dark Fantasy Odd Situations with a couple of lines to each for inspiration.
- For a deck of dark fantasy hooks try Sidequest Decks: Horror Fantasy from Inkwell Ideas.
Ravenloft and D&D
D&D has a different slant on horror, and Curse of Strahd and Ravenloft are popular settings.
- For random tables in pdf format there is a (PWYW) DM's Guild collection of extra encounters for curse of Strahd
- Next are a series of random tables for gothic horror - Ravenloft Tables
- Finally I have a few spooky titles including Spooky Encounter Tables and Spooky One-Shot Adventures
- Never Engine has the Pay What You Want Weird Shit Generator (Fantasy)
- The Book of Random Tables: 1920s-1930s from dicegeeks isn't really horror based, but many Cthulu games take place in that period...
- The Cthulu Alphabet from Goodman Games is a collection of random tables done by letters of the alphabet
- Yaruki Zero Games has Ewen's Tables - Horror Stuff, a collection of d66 tables.
- The Haunting of Home by Ken Wickham has an early 1900s home with tables for sounds, smells, sights and other clues within.
This will get updated in the future, but leave a comment with other titles if you have one to share.