Tools to help create player characters for fantasy, and give life to a group of characters and their hirelings, pets and companions.
[Image by Patrick Pullen]
The adventurers of fantasy roleplaying games are the most important part, being the conduit for player to influence and experience the game.
Then there are groups. Of mercenaries, swashbucklers, scoundrels, misfits and friends. Serving a faith, faction, patron or themselves. And the extended family of hirelings, allies, pets, mounts and other companions.
There are many titles to help with creating charaters and groups, here is a selction from the PDF Titles for Adventurers & Groups.
- For questions to ask about a characters backstory, try 5 Questions by Roving Band of Misfits Press, with d100 tables for 5 categories.
- For hirelings, allies and possible PC portraits, Inkwell Ideas has NPC Portraits Deck: Henchmen & Hirelings, a deck of 54 cards with portrait and details.
- To figure out how adventurers came together, Blackstone Entertainment has 47 Fantasy Adventure Hooks: Bringing Your PCs Together With Style. Pay What You Want.
- Black Falcon Games has D-Percent - 100 Character Traits for PCs and NPCs.
- What does their campsite look like? Inkwell Ideas has Infinite Campsites with several d12 tables to help out.
Some tools can create entire (statless characters). Starting with the Random Character Generator from Role Generator. It gives a name, occupation and detailed description. Can optionally specify race or profession.
For a complete character using a name, try the Character Composer (choosing Fantasy genre). (sometimes this generator might get stuck)
Naming characters can be a time-consuming process. Donjon has a single Fantasy Name Generator covering humans, elves, dwarves and halflings. 7Tools also has a Name Generator covering many fantasy races.
Then there are some particular things for characters.
- Trinkets have been popularised by 5E D&D, with Trinkets at Donjon, 100 Interesting Trinkets from DnD Speak and Fantasy Trinkets (with themes) at Chaos Gen.
- Voices can be an unusual thing to specify, with 7Tools having a Voice Generator.
- Defining Life Events is a dark-fantasy themed generator from Glumdark
- Personaties can be hard to encapsulate, with Fantasy Name Generators having a Personality Description Generator with a detailed one.
Adventuring groups can take on a life of their own, living on even after members have died or retired.
The most popular generator at Chaos Gen (me) has been the Adventurer Group Name tool.
Companions and Pets
Your magical pet is a large white male parrot with the ability to sense evil. He has a forehead marking in the shape of a star. He gets lost easily and is not very neat.
...from Magical Pet Maker at Springhole.net
People love their pets in real life and in RPGs too. Faithful mounts, witch familiars, beast companions. So here are some tools to create and customise pets for your games.
For a pet name try the Pet Name Generator from YourPetName with results such as "Eclipse", "Sasha", "Voltron", "Buffy" and "Rush"
Dogs have been companions of humanity since we were hunter-gatherers. And that continues into fantasy and space games with the Pet Dog Name Generator at Fantasy Name Generators. For a wolf or more ferocious dog consider the Random Wolf Generator from Springhole.net. For new dog breeds try the Dog Breed Generator at Seventh Sanctum.
Cats have been with us for thousands of years too and were revered in Egypt. Name your felines with the Pet Cat Name at Fantasy Name Generators or create a complete one with the Random Cat Generator from Springhole.net.
If your rpg character has a mount, it's more likely to be a type of horse than not. If you want to get attached to your horse then the Pet Horse Name Generator awaits at Fantasy Name Generators. As does it's companion the Horse Name Generator which has more heroic-sounding names. There's also a fascination for magical horses, with an option for several Magical Legend Ponies at Seventh Sanctum or one at a time with the Marvellous Technicolor Pony Maker at Springhole.net. Finally there's d100 Horses at Chartopia.
Adventuring Tool Recommendations
I'll come back and update the Guide so send me any recommendations for tools, tables and pdfs.