Map tools are useful for Fantasy Seas. So here's a look at tools for all kinds of seas, oceans, islands and ports.
[map from watabou's perilous shores]
Disclaimer: I'm an affiliate for DriveThru RPG
Sea voyages are full of tales with treasure maps or uncharted lands. Some sea adventures revolve around mapping island chains or other sea terrain. Others involve stealing valuable charts making a variety of terrain features for a bay or ocean. Islands, coasts, under the sea and across the ocean are all places that could contain maps.
Major Sea Maps
Watabou also has Perilous Shores which generates coastal and island maps. The settings include options for styles and generation such as "island", "coast", "archipelago" and "lake". The Medieval Fantasy City Generator is also from watabou and has an option for "coast" for a port settlement.
With Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator, you can create continents or large sea areas, specifying the heightmap in the options section with settings such as "high island", "shattered", "volcanic island" and "shattered" among several others.
Donjon's Fantasy Town Generator has options (under Topography) for Island and Coastal, giving sea settlements and island cities.
Other Sea Maps
For smaller maps Mapgen4 from Red Blog Games has lots of filters and you can paint terrain types across the map. The site also has many resources for procedural map creation.
Roll for Fantasy's Map Creator also has a "Random Map" button below the actual map. There is a large mix of sea, small islands and larger areas.
The Settlement Generator at 7Tools has an option for "Coastal" Environment type, for port cities and island villages. And many details
Rounding out the digital maps are a couple paid for options in pdf form. There is also a guide to Fantasy Sea PDFs & Books.
- Pocket Lands: High Seas from Alexey Aparin is a 68 sea geomorphs (a deck of cards with maps that fit together). Many include arrows indicting currents.
- The Tropical Islands - Map-Tile Set from Black Scrolls Games is a printable or card-verision set that can make various tropical island maps. There is also one for Docks and Canals.
- The Sidequest Decks: High Seas, Pirates and Ports (55 cards) or Sidequest Decks: Coastal Town Quests (72 cards) from Inkwell Ideas are decks which contains a mini-adventure with sea and coastal themes. Each card has a map on one side.
- For a set of 30 tiles, Handiwork Games has Water Tiles Without Grid. Use for coasts, islands, rivers or lakes. There is a separate Water Tiles with Grid title.
- Sailing Ships from 0-hr has maps of three sizes of sailing ships, each with different configurations.
- 5 Customizable Blank Vintage Maps Vol2: Scattered Archipelagos from The Lore Observer is a pay-what-you-want set of 5 maps featuring islands.
This will get updated in the future, but leave a comment with other titles if you have one to share.