Map tools are useful for Fantasy Wilderness. So here's a look at tools for all kinds of wilderness adventures.
[map from mapgen 4]
Disclaimer: I'm an affiliate for DriveThru RPG
Unchartered wilderness is the perfect place for a map to be useful. Or for a group to want to make a map. As wilderness is usually beyond the "civilised" lands, the maps available might show old ruins and fallen kingdoms.
There are also other strategies for using the maps, such as survival expeditions and old school hexcrawls.
Regular Wilderness Maps
Starting with a hex-based template, HexTML is a hex-based map generator with a "generate" option (under the "Map settings" cog). That can then me edited as you wish.
Then Hexroll is another Hex-based wilderness area which creates an entire mapped campaign area. With notes, settlements, dungeons and factions for each hex using dnd creatures.
If you would like a small settlement Kassoon has a Hamlet Map generator which has options to customise it for supporters.
For smaller maps Mapgen4 from Red Blog Games has lots of filters and you can paint terrain types across the map. The site also has many resources for procedural map creation.
Other Wilderness Maps
For a wilderness map at battlemat scale Gozzy has Gozzy's Wilderness Map Generator is the only option I've found so far.
Roll for Fantasy's Map Creator also has a "Random Map" button below the actual map.
Rounding out the digital maps are a couple paid for options in pdf form. There is also a guide to Fantasy Wilderness PDFs & Books.
- Hex Dek from Philip Reed Games has 50 double-sided cards with maps and expanded information
- Pocket Lands: Deserts from Alexey Aparin is a set of 30 geomorphs (a deck of cards with maps that fit together). There is also Pocket Lands: Marshes and Pocket Lands: Frostlands.
- For map tiles, Red Dragon Gaming has Adventure Realm Wilderness Map Tiles, a set of 16 full colour wilderness-themed gridded map tiles.
- Atelier Clandestin has a Sandbox Generator with hex maps and tables for filling them with settlements, npcs, dungeons and other pieces of interest.
- For forest terrain, Handiwork Games has Jon Hodgson Map Tiles - Forest Tiles No Grid, in pdf or card format. There are also tiles for Deserts, Ruins, Mountain Pass and Moorland Ruins.
- Infinium Game Studios has FlexTale Hexcrawl Atlas: Western Realm of Aquilae, with many hexmaps for wilderness terrains.
This will get updated in the future, but leave a comment with other titles if you have one to share.