Here we are looking at fantasy free and Pay What You Want (PWYW) pdf titles on Drive Thru RPG. And many solo players love random tables!
Disclaimer: Rand Roll is an affiliate for DriveThru RPG and DM's Guild.
This is a companion to a Free Fantasy Titles Guide.
There are many RPG games beyond fantasy, with Sci-Fi covering lots of ground. Joined by Horror, Cyberpunk, Post-Apocalyptic, Modern and Space/Science Fantasy for all kinds of tech, spooky, and genre-blending gaming.
There are also specific guides for paid PDFs and Titles for
- Science Fiction - PDF/Books Guide
- Horror - PDF/Books Guide
- Cyberpunk - PDF/Books Guide
- Post-Apocalyptic - PDF/Books Guide
- Modern - PDF/Books Guide
- Space/Science Fantasy - PDF/Books Guide
Science Fiction Free and PWYW PDFs
Science fiction, which could be space pirates, alien hunting or futuristic drama.
- Although an RPG, Stars Without Number (revised, free version) from Sine Nomine Publishing also has many free tables worth looking at.
- Never Engine has a Planet Generator, with several tables crammed into a one page format.
- Kai Pütz a.k.a Gregorius21778 has 100 names for androids and other artificial beings and 100 names for starships in private hands
Solo Free and PWYW Titles
For solo games outside of fantasy, there are a few options (including from the genre-specific titles in other sections)
- One Page Solo Engine from Inflatable Studios is a lightweight GM emulator with a couple of pages of notes and tables to help.
- UNE, the Universal NPC Emulator from Conjecture Games creates NPCs for you! There is also Bold, Universal PC Stories and Deeds Generator.
- CRGE, Conjecture Roleplaying GM Emulator, also from Conjecture Games is an emulator with a few different modes / levels.
- For a pay-what-you-want journaling game, Quill Noir from Savage AfterWorld is a supplement for the PWYW Quill solo game, set in the 20th century.
Horror Free and Pay What You Want
In haunted mansions, abandoned temples and cursed forests, more free stuff lurks!
- Pink Dice Bag Publishing gives us of 100 Dark and Spooky Names,
- Never Engine has 100 Spooky Yet Mundane Dungeon Encounters
- d100 Mundane Items (for Mörk Borg) from Petersender with 100 dark fantasy items. Plus lots of clues for other Mork Borg PWYW titles.
- Dark Fantasy Places from Chaos Factory Books is a PWYW title has a collection of tables and short essays for dark villages, forests and other places.
- For cthulu-related monsters try Lovecraftian Title Generator from Azukail Games, with 3 tables to combine
Cyberpunk Free and PWYW Pdfs
For cyberpunk games of megacorporations, cybernetic implants and dystopian near-futures.
- Augmented Reality from Geist Hack Games has over 50 tables of cyberpunk city goodness.
- D-oom Products has adventures covered with the Cyberpunk Adventure Generator
- dicegeeks also has Popular American Names for Near Future Settings with eight d100 tables
Post-Apocalyptic Free and PWYW Titles
To help survive whatever horror inflicted devastation
- 49 Lists for Atopic Punk 2160 from Felbrigg Herriot fits the theme, with 49-themed lists for post-apocalpyse games.,
- Post Apocalyptic Items d100 from dicegeeks contains junk found in the ruins of civilisations. (last time I checked this was also free)
Modern Free and PWYW Titles
For the broad spectrum of "modern", from 80's espionage to modern superheroes.
- Never Engine has a pwyw Espionage Mission Generator with 1 page, and another Military Mission Generator.
- JV Random Tables: Cyberpunk and Modern from JeansenVaars has two pages of d20 tables for locations and characters.
- For UK and US style city names, Pink Dice Bag Publishing has 100 Town and City Names.
- For a certain atmosphere, try 100 B-Movies playing at the Movie Theatre for all Modern RPGs from Grinning Skull Studios. Or 100 Dusty Paperbacks on an Abandoned Bookshelf.
- 108 Clown Names from WMB Saltworks is niche but fits the modern category.
Science/Space Fantasy Free and PWYW PDFs
The oceans and seas, coasts and ports welcome you for more free loot!
- Stars Without Number from Sine Nomine Publishing is a free sci-fi RPG, which also has many pages or random tables. And a fantasy version in Worlds Without Number. Between the two there is lots of inspiration for science fantasy games.
- From Direbane Publishing is City Running Troika!, a setting a random tables for delving into and adventuring in a space fantasy city, for the game Troika! (detailed below)
- The Ultraviolet Grasslands - Free Introduction from Hydra Cooperative is a rules-light rpg about journeying across a weird dying space-fantasy setting. Supported by random tables.
- Electric Bastionland Free Edition from Bastionland Press is a Space-Fantasy game with an old-school feel where you have a failed career and colossal debt. This is the cut-down free version of the game.
This will get updated in the future, but leave a comment with other titles if you have one to share.