Here we are looking at pdf and book titles for Fantasy Cities on Drive Thru RPG.
[Image created from Medieval Fantasy City Generator]
Disclaimer: Rand Roll is an affiliate for DriveThru RPG and DM's Guild.
Fantasy Cities can look quite different, from typical King's Landing in Game of Thrones to the towers of Minas Tirith, to the sprawl of Ravnica on an entire world. From the spires of the island of Tar Valon to the ever-shifting fashions of Ankh-Morpork.
For some adventurers the city is a place to relax, resupply and network. To others it is the heart of their adventures. Temple politics, gang wars, dangers in the sewers, disappearances in the slums, fires in the noble quarter and whispers in the backstreets...
For a non-random title with information about cities there is City Builder: A Guide to Designing Communities from Skirmisher Publishing (240 pages and not cheap).
Also of interest will be the Random Tools Guide for Fantasy Cities. For taven related tools there's a Generator's Guide to Taverns and Inns. Finally for more PDF titles try Random Table Titles for Fantasy.
Some PDFs are much larger and comprehensive.
- Spectacular Settlements is 482 pages of settlements from Nord Games, including tables, guidelines and pre-built settlements in a hurry
- GM's Miscellany: Urban Dressing (System Neutral) from Raging Swan Press brings together lists to fill out urban areas from smaller titles. It is part of a how category of many Urban Dressing titles and has a sequel in GM's Miscellany: Urban Dressing II.
- From LoreSmyth is Remarkable Shops and Their Wares , including dozens of random tables as well as pre-built shops and magic items.
Free and Pay What You Want Options
If you like pdfs and random tables then there are some options. And where you find one you might find more...
- Start off with a name from Pink Dice Bag Publishing with 100 Town and City Names in style of UK and UK cities.
- Never Engine has two highly rated PWYW Encounter Generators, Urban (Rough) and Urban (Safe). As well as an Area/ Building and Room Generator.
- Dicegeeks has a few free d100 lists including 100 Items found in a Fantasy Warehouse and Random Search Chart d100 - Fantasy Office.
To find more related titles by a particular publisher the "Customers Who Bought This Title also Purchased" bar at the bottom of product description is useful.
- If you need rumours then 100 Rumours to Hear in a Town or Village from Azukail Games has ones with enough detail to interest characters. Other city-themed titles include 100 Merchants to Encounter, 100 Strange or Unusual Encounters for Fantasy Cities and 100 Gangs for Your Urban Campaigns.
- Skirmisher Publishing helps with black markets and crime boss headquarters with 100 Oddities for a Thieves' Guild.
Things that don't fit in the other categories.
- Inkwell Ideas has a series of sidequest decks and one covers Political and Urban Fantasy, with 55 card versions in digital or physical cards versions.
- From Black Falcon Games there is Fantasy City - Random Generator Collection with six titles of d100 city and tavern related titles.
This will get updated in the future, but leave a comment with other titles if you have one to share.