Here we are looking at pdf and book titles for Fantasy Cities on Drive Thru RPG.
[Image created from Medieval Fantasy City Generator]
Disclaimer: Rand Roll is an affiliate for DriveThru RPG and DM's Guild.
Fantasy Cities can look quite different, from typical King's Landing in Game of Thrones to the towers of Minas Tirith, to the sprawl of Ravnica on an entire world. From the spires of the island of Tar Valon to the ever-shifting fashions of Ankh-Morpork.
For some adventurers the city is a place to relax, resupply and network. To others it is the heart of their adventures. Temple politics, gang wars, dangers in the sewers, disappearances in the slums, fires in the noble quarter and whispers in the backstreets...
For a non-random title with information about cities there is City Builder: A Guide to Designing Communities from Skirmisher Publishing (240 pages and not cheap).
Some PDFs are much larger and comprehensive.
- Spectacular Settlements is 482 pages of settlements from Nord Games, including tables, guidelines and pre-built settlements in a hurry
- GM's Miscellany: Urban Dressing (System Neutral) from Raging Swan Press brings together lists to fill out urban areas from smaller titles. It is part of a how category of many Urban Dressing titles and has a sequel in GM's Miscellany: Urban Dressing II.
- From LoreSmyth is Remarkable Shops and Their Wares , including dozens of random tables as well as pre-built shops and magic items.
- Castle Oldskull - City State Encounters from Kent David Kelly has many pages of tables for city encounters, day and night, including monsters and npcs sections.
- For lots of detailed hooks and adventure ideas, Philip Reed Games has 1d100 City Hooks, Fantasy RPG Encounter Ideas.
- For a detailed guide (with tables) to creating cities and towns, Lucky Dice Games has Town Tables - The Game Master's Town Builder Handbook.
Free and Pay What You Want Options
If you like free pdfs and random tables then there are some options. And where you find one you might find more...
- Start off with a name from Pink Dice Bag Publishing with 100 Town and City Names in style of UK and UK cities.
- Never Engine has two highly rated PWYW Encounter Generators, Urban (Rough) and Urban (Safe). As well as an Area/ Building and Room Generator and pwyw 300 Mundane Items and Objects.
- Dicegeeks has a few free d100 lists including 100 Items found in a Fantasy Warehouse and Random Search Chart d100 - Fantasy Office.
- The Town and City Builder from James Embry is 65+ pages of advice and tables for building all sizes of settlements, split into districts with extra tables for names and encounters. Has a price but currently showing as free.
- For creating a trader of weird magic in a marketplace Gorgzu Games has The Transient Bazaar, a PWYW title.
To find more related titles by a particular publisher the "Customers Who Bought This Title also Purchased" bar at the bottom of product description is useful.
- Skirmisher Publishing helps with black markets and crime boss headquarters with 100 Oddities for a Thieves' Guild.
- If you like intrigue and events, then 1d100 Plus Social Events from Lore Wise Games offers several tables for events and events. With one tailored for towns in 1d100 Plus Town Events. And another for 1d100 Plus Underworld Events.
- Grinning Skull Studios has the long titled 100 City Encounters & Adventure Hooks for all fantasy RPGs with 100 detailed encounters and sidequests. There is also 100 Places in Town for all fantasy RPGs.
- Part of the D-Percent titles is 100 Fantasy City Rumors and Mysteries from Black Falcon Games, with substantial rumours. For pickpockets there is also 100 NPC Pocket Contents.
- Atelier Clandestin have 100 Low Fantasy Merchants with names, description and what they might sell. As well as City Name Generator, the Criminal Organization Generator and Guild Generator.
- If you need rumours then 100 Rumours to Hear in a Town or Village from Azukail Games has ones with enough detail to interest characters. Other city-themed titles include 100 Merchants to Encounter, 100 Strange or Unusual Encounters for Fantasy Cities and 100 Gangs for Your Urban Campaigns.
Things that don't fit in the other categories.
- Inkwell Ideas has a series of sidequest decks and one covers Political and Urban Fantasy, with 55 card versions in digital or physical cards versions. They've also published the image based Encounter Builder: City Scenes.
- A deck of Concept Cards - Urban Locations from Artemis Games has 56 cards with ideas and four sections with numerical ratings
- From Black Falcon Games there is Fantasy City - Random Generator Collection with six titles of d100 city and tavern related titles.
- From Black Scrolls Games is City Modular Map-Tiles, with 78 tiles to populate your city (or pick at random). They also have Sewer Map Tiles for adventures under the city.
- For a smaller scale WyldFurr has the Dark Mansion Map Cards, 20 square map tiles for mansions in a city (probably haunted)
- The Tables of Everyday Items from Standish Writes has tables for urban areas such as Bedroom, Garden Shed, Tavern and Cemetery.
This will get updated in the future, but leave a comment with other titles if you have one to share.