Tools, oracles, resources fand systems for solo rpgs. This is a big topic so starting with some simple lists.
Disclaimer. I'm an affiliate for DM's Guild and DriveThru RPG. I also create a lot of products with random tables on DM's Guild..
Solo gaming has risen in popularity with enforced confinement of the epidemic.
A few places to find out the basics
A few Podcasts to start include
- Errant Adventures with Steve Morrison is a solo campaign starting with Starforged in Season 1. (link varies with podcast app)
- Sub-Class Act is a playthrough of shortish campaigns and one-shots using a variety of systems, oracles and resources. (link varies with podcast app)
- Tale of the Manticore with Jon is part solo play and part dramatic storytelling. Dark fantasy with mature content. (link varies with podcast app)
- Die Alone A solo RPG podcast covering a different system each time.
Solo Engine has quests, oracles, NPCs, locations, traps and combat foes
GM's Apprentice gives lots of information (dice rolls, odds, events, senses, icons) at once, refreshing all on a re-roll. Plus more gens for oracles, urban, npc, trap etc
WebGM, which is open source, so you can join in the contributions. It has quick options for rolling dice and all kinds of elements in a game (names, animals, events etc)
RPG Solo has oracles, different genres and lots of buttons for getting answers to questions. Plus a mobile version
Mythic RPG is written to have no GM (so is good for solo), and Black Magic is one of the tools supporting it.
Soloist is a game assistant also has generators for names, characters and adventure seeds.
Zero Dice can roll dice to give results in images, playing cards, runes, d6, d10 and fate dice.
A few popular site with gens useful for Solo Play include
Ancient Quests for lots of gens in one location
Chaotic Shiny for the sheer variety of gens
Fantasy Name Generators to name anything in any genre.
donjon for some of the best gens out there.
For systems to try I had a brief look at 4 Places to Start with Solo
And a longer list includes
- Dungeons and Dragons 5e (as the system most people know)
- Knave and Maze Rats
- The Wretched
- Warlock! with a British old school feel.
- Savage Worlds solo rules (needs a version of Savage Worlds to use)
- Basic Fantasy RPG
I'll keep this guide updated so please suggest generators in the comments or on my Discord server